Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Change O' Plans....

So, I was so excited about doing Book Club with the Heroes Then and Now Series with my 9-11 girls...then I started reading them.  Sigh....I had read Glady's Aylward many years ago with my older son.  We LOVED it!  I had always wanted to read more.  What I didn't think about is the fact that a lot of these books will be dealing with a lot of behavior that I just don't want to share with 9-11 year old girls!  (The books say 10 and up, but I say High School for many of them!)

So...Plan B...

My new plan for 9-11 Girls Book Club is to read classic books that have been made into movies.  I am calling it:

From the Page to the Stage!

The books I have chosen are:

  • Sept. - Pollyanna (1913) Eleanor H. Porter
  • Oct. - The Story of Dr. Doolittle (1920) Hugh Lofting
  • January - Gladys Aylward (1930) Janet and Geoff Benge
  • Feb - Mr. Poppers Penguins (1938) Richard and Florence Atwater
  • March - Charlotte’s Web (1952) E.B. White
  • April - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory  (1964) Roald Dahl
  • May - Nims Island (1994) Wendy Orr
I carefully chose these to span from 1913 10 1994. This way we can still do a timeline of what else was going on in the world at each time period. And I will have a World map for them to mark the ones that take places in "real" places. As far as the lapbook, I have changed it to a notebook. The girls will be filling out a sort of movie poster each month. (You can see it HERE.) This will be printed on card stock and then on the back we will do a few lapbook pages for each book.


Lot's and lot's of ideas!  I am jazzed about the new plan, even though I am bummed that we are not studying Missionaries.  My daughter and I will still be reading a few of the others that I had already bought.  


Happy Homeschooling,


Jamin