Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Reving Up For the New School Year

WOW, I can't believe I didn't post at all in July!  What a crazy, fun, busy Summer we have been having!  I guess I have been having SO much fun with my kids there just hasn't been time for blogging.  :^)

We are only 3 days into August, but already I am in full prep for school mode!  LOTS of prep to do! The main things I am working on right now are organizing Book Club, Young Writer's Club and a Lapbooking Class I am teaching.  Yep, I like to be BUSY...

Now that American Girl Club is finished this opened up time for me to put together a Book Club for kids of all ages.  Our homeschool group will be hosting 7 groups of kids who will meet once a month all at the same time, in the same place.  I am leading the 9-11 Girls.  I have chosen to use the Christian Heros: Then & Now books.  The ones I have chosen for this year are:


Mary Slessor: Forward into Calabar (1848-1915 Africa)

Ida Scudder: Healing Bodies, Touching Hearts (1870-1960 India)

Lillian Thrasher: The Greatest Wonders in Egypt (1887-1961 Egypt)

C.S. Lewis: Master Story Teller (1898- 1963 Europe)

Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (1902-1970 China)

Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels Den (1892-1983 Holland)

Elisabeth Elliot: Joyful Surrender (1926- Present Ecuador)




My thinking is that we will do a BIG lapbook over the year and add booklets for each of the Hero's we read about as we go.  That is as far as the plan has gotten as of right now!  LOL  I am about to read the first book and am hoping I have lots more ideas once I am through that. 


The Young Author's Club I will write more about soon.  It's a new idea I had and think it's going to be a lot of  FUN!  Time will tell.


In the meantime I am off to do more and more prep!  


Happy Homeschooling,


Jamin


P.S.  I just realized I never posted about my 16 year old finishing his first College class.  (English Comp I) He did GREAT!  He got an A!  YAY!!! There were a possible 95 points he could get in the class and he got 94.38!  I am one proud mama!  He will be taking English Comp II and Public Speaking starting at the end of the month.  :^)