Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Clean Green Party

For our homeschool group meeting this month we hosted a Clean Green Party!  This was a fun time to get together with friends and make our own household cleaners from simple items we could buy at the store.  Not only do these end up being A LOT cheaper, but they are not loaded with unnecessary chemicals and fragrances.  I have a really hard time being around fragrances and perfumes.  They give me headaches.  I don't even walk down the cleaner aisle at the grocery store if I can avoid it. By the end of the aisle my head is aching!  For years we have used as little chemicals as possible.  We are on our third Shark Steam Mop.  (Each one has lasted about 3 years.) I love the steam mop because I can clean and disinfect the floors using just water!  I also use a lot of vinegar and baking soda for cleaning.  But at the party we learned a few new "recipes" for cleaners. 

My favorite "recipe" is for a soft scrub. 


2 cups baking soda
½ cup liquid castile soap*
4 teaspoons vegetable glycerin (acts as a preservative)
5 drops antibacterial essential oil such as lavender, tea tree, rosemary or any scent you prefer (optional)
Mix together and store in a sealed glass jar, shelf life of 2 years.

We made ours using the lavendar castile soap.  It smells GREAT!  I used it today to clean sinks, toilets and to scrub dishes.  LOVE IT! (I will be making more soon!)

You can find the rest of the recipes HERE.

Happy Homeschooling,

Jamin